Sunday, April 26, 2009

Final Reflection

Reflecting back on this class, I think that I learned things about the way I teach and the way I learn. Teaching for me incorporates finding a way to reach as many learners as possible. In reading our online articles and textbooks, I think that adding technology into the classroom can definitely be a tool for reaching all learners. Will it work for everyone? No. But if it can work for some, it is worth it. I do not think that online learning and technology are the only way to differentiate education though. It is all about knowing what your students need and how they learn best. I think our program question asks about how children learn best and what we as educators can do to meet their needs. This class has given me more tools for my toolbox that I can use to assist students in many areas to enhance their educational experience and success rate.
As a learner, I realized that although I rely on my computer and the internet for so many things, I did not prefer the online course. The amount of time consumed by reading and typing was overwhelming at times. I would much rather converse with my colleagues face-to-face. I think that conversations are more natural this way. With online learning, I could post something, but have to wait over 24 hours for a response. However, I must admit that the freedom of having Wednesday night available without the rush of getting to class and the freedom to work at my pace was a nice break from what we were used to.
Finally, I think that my writing skills were enhanced because I was constantly writing and rewriting my posts and comments to be sure I had my idea stated just the way I wanted it. Online learning forces you to write, which can be a difficult skill to master. Overall, this course had benefits and drawbacks for me that I can reflect on, learn from, and use to make changes to the way I learn and teach.
In the next few days, I plan to finalize my paper and finish my presentation. I also need to read the thread posts that have been made and make comments on what others have written. See you all on Wednesday for our presentations!

No comments:

Post a Comment